Student Maker Faire/Video Game Update #4

Our video game project had a booth at the Student Maker Faire at Hawthorn High School, and we shared with the attendees our video game itself, along with the story, sprite, art, and programming development that took place.

We all agreed that the experience was a lot of fun, and we actually got a lot of insightful advice from industry experts, as well as feedback from kids who played our game. I’d like to give a special thank you to Megan Ruane who went out of her way to reserve for us a projector, and who also was extremely helpful in coordinating our exhibit as a whole.

Level Editor Preparation

One of the things I’m working on right now for our video game is a level editor. Once we have a functional level editor, then our team will be able to create the game without any assistance from myself. As it is now, I need to program everything by hand – sprites, event handlers, object masks, etc.

Johnny Sausage + Collision Code = Awesome

Shamash and I had the opportunity to work on the game this morning, and we made a good amount of progress. For starters, two of the building sprites are done and polished, and the collision code is finished being callibrated for multiple objects.

It was really interesting working side by side, and it was more productive because we were able to give each other feedback during development.

Video Game Update #3

This post marks the third major update post within this series, and I’m really excited for what we’ve done so far. We’ve accomplished a lot within a few weeks such as:

Collision Code
Dialogue Code
Music/Sound Effects
Wayde’s Character Art
Nicholas’/Johnny Sausage Sprite
The Story

There’s an exponential curve to the development / playability of our game. As soon as we get a majority of the core assets done, along with the game engine, the game itself will develop a lot faster. If we keep this pace we’ll be able to make a good chunk of our game in no time – let’s jump right into specifics.

Video Game Update #2

It’s been a long time since I’ve made a major update post regarding our video game – 5 months in fact.

That being said, we’ve been leisurely making progress, and we’re going to pick up the pace very soon. We’re planning on completing a good portion of our video game so we can present it at the¬†AMETLL School Maker Faire in May – more updates will follow.

Here’s what we’ve done so far.

Programming Dynamic Scaling

I decided to change the aspect ratio of our game to better fit all of the characters within the window. That change was fine until I played the game on my laptop, when I realized that the window size was too large for the WXGA display.

Because the game didn’t fit, I changed all of the size integers to be dynamic, so that the scale of the graphics can be changed at will.

Programming Delayed Movement

It was somewhat tricky programming the delayed mechanic, and here’s why: When I originally programmed it, I created 4 Boolean variables (w_delay, a_delay…) which would become True a couple seconds after a WASD key was pressed, and become False a couple seconds after a key was released.

The problem with this approach was that the data was “lossy”…

First Character Design!

Today, Mariel presented to us three plausible designs for our first video game character Рand wow, all of them are amazing.

All of us agreed on using the center sketch, and soon Shamash will get started developing a sprite based off of it, while Gio establishes her character.

Excited!

Let’s Create a Video Game

I’ve been thinking about creating a video game as of late. I think it would be a really fun thing to do, and it would be a great learning experience as well.

I talked to a few of my friends, Giovanni, Mariel, and Shamash, and together, we’re going to create a 16-bit-style video game. I’m very excited to get started on this, especially after seeing some of the stuff that all of them have made throughout the year. Here are a couple samples from Mariel and Shamash respectively.